5.25.2008

Hills of Sleeping Horses



my horse is dead
run over by an suv
my dog forced from me
by cruel and empty threats
a friendship maimed
false power gained
beat down in this city
by the fists all fighting for fame

let her ride her high horse
she needs it
frail heart
frail mind
an illusion of authority
from her soapbox she decries

in this corporate kingdom
castles built out of lies
glamorous parapets guard against a hollow inside
seated at the throne: science, progress, and pride

I can see right through this beautiful shell of you
sold your pearl for a slice of pie
holding your ticket for a turn in line
telling yourself you'll make it in time
rise in the ranks of this hierarchical prank
believing you're happy when your only tied in
turn the crank
unleash the sin
contributing your life to this mess we're all in

you lured me close only to push me away
sold your heart to get rid of the pain
as you whore yourself to fabulous fortune and fame
masked in virtue
a poster child for the new
same brand repackaged
as more to consume

and I want to believe and to forgive
believe that inside there is hope for sunrise
mend this broken hand and forgive these crimes
forgive people and this city
believe that they care and want to learn to change

still clinging in fear to the culture they revere
New York has them bound by their feet
never forget this city has no soul
they will rape me again the first chance I give
save my love for those who want nothing to hold

too good for the city
I will always offer my love
to those who are without
to the city of none

so rape me, my friend
with your smiles of concrete
fortune and fame never stung so sweet
drag me across your broken sidewalks and streets
you will never destroy what you cannot defeat
your threats and violence are useless to my ears
you cannot control what has no fear


desert bliss

artwork by Paul Antonson

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the artwork. It fits so well with your post. I'm also reminded of some lyrics from a song:

Medicated, drama queen, picture perfect, numb belligerence

Narcissistic, drama queen, craving fame and all its decadence

I always like when many different art forms reflect the same pattern. Individual pieces, repeating and overlapping, tied together and all speaking to a common theme.

"you cannot control what has no fear"- love it! If you hold true to that you'll ride this storm out unscathed. Hope calmer seas are on their way to you.

Joe said...

I'm curious; what's the name of the song and who sings it?