
so I've given in to New York - wooed with blossoms and soft warm air.
I'm a deity of warm weather - and people take notice
as I also notice other people, now divulged from their chrysalis of cashmere and wool
bight colors on bronzed skin
so many beautiful people
how am I single?
Yet I have the whole city to share a romance with
a bike that can take me anywhere, anytime
I'm kinda in love with it all right now
and then I see babies....
I mean not to offend, but to have a baby at this time in the evolution of life is..... so selfish. The amount of resources that a human life requires while living within this techno-industrial civilization is simply criminal. Any yet, it's spring and there are women all chatter with baby fever, mom's with strollers, and children sprouting up through the sidewalks like dandelions.
There's this great idea I have where all babies, or fetuses, would be property of the state until the parents could prove, through a comprehensive application process, that they would be suitable to raise the child. If a child was born illegally, it would be seized, the parents fined, and placed for adoption. Basically all children would have to be adopted, just some would be adopted by their birth parents. I know this sounds slightly like orwellian state-control madness, but it would be effective at ending overpopulation and irresponsible parenthood. If only the state wasn't run by corrupt corporocrats....
eventhough Nueva York is seducing me right now in a serendipitous splendor , I haven't lost sight of the state of the world. If anything, I feel more alive and more concerned, more impassioned - all this beauty is worth the struggle to save it from careless and greedy human destruction.
I'll leave with a few quotes from a book that I'm reading, "Listening to the Land" by Derrick Jensen, recommended by a friend of mine who's a truly beautiful human being, working hard to make a positive impact in the urban environment - and elsewhere.
"The history of the world has been a parade of doomed civilizations, some noble, some corrupt, all of which thoughtlessly destroyed their ecological base. We may be following that same march to oblivion, unless we have the courage to change.... Our particular culture has become so inimical to life that in the next generation it's going to destroy one-third to one-half the species on this planet."
- Christopher Manes
"you can't take a California Condor out of the wild and put it in the L.A. zoo and still have a Condor, because the being of the Condor does not end at those black feathers at the tips of its wings. It's the rising thermals over the Coast Range. It's the rocky crag where she lays her egg. It's the carrion she feeds on. The Condor is place... and we are place too."
- Dave Foreman
Yet here we are in this zoo of artifice, concrete and steel - lost from our place and clueless where to find it. Throughout the book each conversation evokes a similar call - that of courage. Courage is what makes someone capable of facing extreme danger and difficulty without retreating. It implies not only bravery and dauntless sprit but the ability to endure in times of adversity.
Can we let go of this culture we know and hold so dear? Can we relinquish our fear of the unknown, be brave and listen to the land so it may guide us to our place?
Be Brave. Have Courage.
....and Love
1 comment:
I saw a shirt the other day that said "Make love not babies." it was so awesome... your post's title reminded me of that. Then i met a girl who worked in the baby ward at cedars sinai. She said they delivered ~800 babies a day! or was it a week? either way, it was mucho babies and she said it was wonderful birth control for her!
Post a Comment