10.28.2008

it must end



I have civilization collapse anxiety. I read too much news, follow too many current events and trends. I'm connecting too many dots. Why does it all have to make sense? Why can't it be puzzling and mysterious? ...because we now know too much. Billions of brains connected. We can now see with a billion eyes, a million minds. It's all there/here, just key strokes and clicks away. The internet is showing us we are connected, we are one consciousness, one shared experience of everything all at once. But it's too much for one mind to process all at once, leading to overload, stress, anxiety. The human mind is under-evolved for such things: only 24 frames per second. It's too stressful to think of what's happening all around the world, at every moment, to feel it, feel it's momentum, to know it's course of direction and understand the possible outcomes. And we are only going to be bombarded with more information, more troubling, daunting, overwhelming events. There's no slowing this down.

As much as many of us would like it to go back to normal, for Obama to win the presidency and right the economy, spread peace through diplomacy and restore America through sound and reasonable policy, we must face the hard truth that we must never go back to the lifestlye we've all been living. We cannot. And it's not because we have a choice but because it's no longer possible. The days of shopping malls, botiques, endless items to consume, luxury, fashion, art, museums and ballparks, sit-coms and gameshows, yachts and all-you-can-eat buffets are over. The American Dream is over. We're waking up to reality. We've been asleep for far too long. There must be no more taking out loans for a new car or mortgages for homes; no police and prisons; no insurance; NO BANKS and credit cards; no militaries; no foreign trade; no advertising; no paper, plastic and packaging; no iPods and cellphones. It all must end.

I cannot imagine living another decade in a world like the one I have grown up in. It's been hard enough year by year with the more that I learn about everything. It must end. I can only subdue this mind so many times before it wakes up again and realizes what a shit-show carnival this whole structure of civilization really is. The tricks no longer work on me. My tolerance is too high. I'm vibrating at a higher frequency.

I'm dead serious. It must end. Either it ends in the next few years or I'm out. I'll flee to some remote corner of the planet and live in hermitage. This has gone on for too long. It's like that scene in Clockwork Orange where Alex is forced to watch violent movies with his eyelids held open and he's screaming something like, "stop! stop it! make it stop! I can't take it anymore! make it stop! make it stop!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No worries, it will end. Calm your anxiety, and know that nature will press the reset button all in good time. I know how you feel though, and I have to constantly remind myself that this circus freak show is just another part of nature. All too often we think of it as being something separate, but it's not, it can't be. I have to remind myself that it is this way, because it can't be any other way. It is unsustainable, but so is so much of the universe. It's like a hot burning star, consuming all it's fuel before it collapses in on itself becoming a black hole or exploding in a supernova. All of life is out of balance, needing to consume to survive, to burn energy, to reproduce. Balance is achieved in death, when all energy is expended and time ceases. Until then sit back and enjoy the show! These are exciting times!

Joe said...

Thanks. I like your perspective on unsustainable systems being natural/universal. And I know this, and see it all as part of the whole process of creation, transformation of energy, and destruction. It's just hard to live in it - to be that tension. I think I've been spending too much time online. I've been too inundated with "information" and it's led to anxiety. I often get caught up in it all and let stir up my energy.