10.04.2008

IMG_0927
If you could go anywhere to escape western civilization and it's maniacal downward spiral of destruction where would you go? Inside a bottle? within the sound waves of perpetual automated applause from TV sitcoms? to the psychedelic corners of your mind? Patagonia?

This question beats against me like waves upon a desert shore, lapsing and returning endlessly. Can it even be answered? Is escape possible? I want to be optimistic but I also have to be pragmatic, and reason makes me doubt. The entire world is tainted.

No.

It can't be. There are places out of reach - or, I suppose everything is within reach of this industrial octopus - but there are places hard to reach, and for that matter, not worth the cost to exploit because of little or diminished returns. But are these places livable?

Do I follow in the footsteps of the big cats, bears, and wolves of north america, into the high mountains and northern tundra?

I want out. This place is madness. My country is raping its people and telling them it's for their own good! And then raping the rest of the world in the name of democracy. And I am witness. Forced to watch, to take part, to give the fruit of my labor to these warlords, funding their destructive schemes. I fear it cannot be stopped unless there is a massive uprising against it or the whole thing collapses because it is terribly unsustainable. Yet, what am I to do? In the meantime; until now and the end? This is sad, upsetting, depressing, and agonizing.

I struggle with the idea that I can act as an agent of change, act as a wise shepherd to guide this lamed flock to a better life. But people are not domesticated farm animals bred for their wool, milk and meat; they are domesticated addicts bred for their labor and ability to consume. For all the time and effort I put towards improving life for ALL living things on this planet there are hundreds of agents working against that, undoing that work of mine and then reversing it and driving it to hell.

Is there hope? And what is an honest man to do?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

An honest man knows he cannot force change on anyone. The saying is true, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink. Great leaders lead by example, not by empty words.
If you feel you are living a positive life, and you are being a true example, then others who are open will recognize your genuiness, and maybe, see you as an example to want to change themselves to a more positive and genuine life. Does it bring you great joy living positive and do you feel this radiates to others? Would touching one life in this world and making a positive impact on that life, so that that one life is living in a better way, worth all the time and effort you have put forth by example? Does it matter where you touch a person's life by example?--whether it is in a forrest of concrete or a desert of space?
Change likes to work against time, but it does come about if one is persistant. Are you strong to hold on to your hope?

Joe said...

Rrrrrrrg ...thanks anonymous? who?

Anonymous said...

Surely you know the wise and experienced words of one who knows you since birth! Maybe not the words you want to hear, but at least ponder and reflect upon.

Anonymous said...

Be patient, and spend this time preparing. When this rotting pile of lies comes crumbling down, as it already has, and the people are angry like a nest of hornets, there will be a need to organize. In a time of chaos, the ones who have expected this and are prepared can lead the assault or the rebuilding effort in some way. These are exciting times with tons of opportunity, be patient and vigilant and you'll find it. Try not to get caught up in the panic of the swarm. Be like the big cat hunter, waiting patiently, quietly in the shadows for your opportunity to pounce.

It's difficult not to become discouraged. That's when you need to turn to something inspirational. I'm reminded of some lyrics that help when I feel drained:

A groan of tedium escapes me, startling the fearful, is this a test? It has to be, otherwise I can't go on
Draining patience, drain vitality, this paranoid, paralyzed vampire act's a little
Old

But I'm still right here, givin' blood, keepin' faith and I'm still right here

Wait it out
Gonna wait it out
Gonna wait it out (Be patient)

If there were no rewards to reap
No loving embrace to see me through
This tedious path I've chosen here
I certainly would've walked away
By now

Be patient
Be patient
Be patient

Must keep reminding myself of this
I must keep reminding myself of this
I must keep reminding myself of this
I must keep reminding myself of this

Anonymous said...

I wonder if you have seen the new Zeitgeist Addendum. Much more uplifting than the first one. I highly recommend it for curing all feelings of hopelessness and exposing the American rapist in the shadows.