3.16.2008

If it wasn't for Brooklyn...

If it wasn't for Brooklyn I probably would have never come out to NYC. In my last post, the behemoth, the sinking ship - that's Manhattan NYC. The two are entirely different worlds, separated by a river. Some Brooklynites may dream like Manhattanites (they just can't afford to live there), but for the most part, the people who live in Brooklyn live here because they want to (or they don't have choice), because they know the culture is different, more laid back, more about people than commerce and flashy wealth. There's definitely a gradient to all the boroughs, a slight blending, but generally the cultural stereotype holds true. You'll see restaurants or boutiques in Brooklyn that look like they're trying to be Manhattan - and they stand out like a boob job on an old broad. Whatever, some people are into that. I'm not. There's something very real, genuine, and organic about Brooklyn. Eventhough a lot of it is cracked and crumbling, many parts have been preserved and restored, protected by the members of the community. Neighborhoods like Brooklyn Heights, Carrol Gardens, Park Slope, Fort Greene - all have preserved the historic infrastructure fairly well, businesses are locally owned, they have active neighborhood organizations and fight against unreasonable (Manhattanesque) development.

Today the sun was shining, it was 56 degrees and felt great outside. I rode my bike into Park Slope's 5th Ave commercial strip to check out a vegan restaurant (V Spot) and a few second hand/vintage/thrift stores while on my way to the Park Slope Food Coop (where I do most of my grocery shopping). I ran into my co-worker who lives next to the coop and she invited me onto the roof of her building, which has a great view of the city. Below are photos from my day.

Park Slope Architecture
IMG_0038

IMG_0041

A faux-dobe facade (notice the faux vigas) on a tex-mex restaurant se llama, Lobo. Looks like they mixed Santa Fe with San Antonio (interior had cow hide covered booths) - I looked in the window and cringed.
IMG_0039

Outside the Food Coop on Union St., Park Slope
IMG_0043

Views from the roof
IMG_0045

IMG_0044

IMG_0046

This is why I love Brooklyn.

No comments: